Friday, January 18, 2013


Velvet - yes or YES?
      
        Not much of a polar question - I know. With its opulent appearance and rich texture, those who abhor it's existence should think twice about avoiding to add it into their wardrobe. Every inch of its textile gives you a vintage feel, which will make you feel like the woman that you are. Velvet is elegant - but fun. It does not have to be taken seriously despite how high-class it looks. So, it goes without saying my guilt of being a velvet lover. I have much relish for pieces that make my whole garment more interesting.
Quite honestly, I was not very fond of velvet when my mother use to dress me in it from head-to-toe for church. What I really wanted to wear was a comfortable tee with shorts, paired with my favorite colored pointy flats. Although, it's funny how I found it amusing when dressing my barbies in velvet - and not so much on me. Finally, when I moved to Vegas in 2009 I was able to experiment with different fabrics; especially with the cold weather during fall and winter. These included polyester fleece, faux fur, heavy wool, and of course, velvet - need I say more? From what I know, ever since that time it still continued and will continue to be a fall / winter fashion trend. From velvet dresses to suits; or, heels, clutch, and arm gloves that incorporated velvet details, all flooded this past season's runways. 
If you're absolutely new to this type of fabric, the easiest way to include it into your wardrobe is to start off with small pieces such as flats; also seen on celebrities like Taylor Swift. A jacket is also another starter as seen on Victoria's Secret model, Chanel Iman (picture below) - simple - but sheek. Velvet is perhaps one of the toughest trend to pull off - but it can absolutely go so right if and only if you wear it with balance. 

Style tip: Avoid head-to-toe velvet. Instead, pair it with other current trends like bold oriental patterns, knits, leather, or military. When shopping for that velvet piece, go for the dark colors such as black, oxblood, forest green, or jewel tones. Also, "crushed" velvet as seen on reality TV star, Whitney Port (picture below), has been said to be avoided - but pairing it with a tan silk button down, this risk taker sure proved that wrong. As I mentioned, it's all about balance and she looks nothing but fabulous. 
So, on your next shopping excursion, make sure you pick up a velvet piece, or two, to add to your wardrobe and you're on your way to making a statement!

http://www.fabsugar.com/Whitney-Port-Wearing-Crushed-Velvet-Pants-25385204

http://www.posh24.com/photo/620322/chanel_iman_robinson_silver_he
xo, Millie
Quote of the day for you fashionistas: "We must never confuse elegance with snobbery" - Yves Saint Laurent




No comments:

Post a Comment