Saturday, February 16, 2013

Sweet Things

photo:eduguide.org

It has become a tradition in our home that we abstain from sweets during the week days and celebrate our self-discipline on Fridays...by completely falling off the wagon! This crash and burn usually comes in one of two forms:
1) a popcorn and m&m's mixture or 2) my homemade chocolate chip cookies.(Okay, okay sometimes its both. Okay, okay, sometimes we don't wait until Friday).

Since popcorn and m&m's is pretty fool-proof (just remember, this side up), I would like to share with you the all-time, yummiest, best ever of your life, chocolate chip cookie recipe.

 photo: foodnetwork.com
The Ghiraredelli Chocolate Chip Cookie. It is the champion of softness, flavor, and richness.

You can thank me later.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yield: 
4 dozen cookies
Ingredients: 


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cups unsifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes (switching top and bottom racks after 4 or 5 minutes) *my trick.
Pour a glass of milk and savor.

Since I make these just about every weekend, I try to add my own customizations to the recipe, to keep things interesting and to make it my own.
 For example:
*Sometimes I "half" the recipe, when we've had a big dinner.
*When we're feeling especially sweet-toothed, I make the "Double Chocolate Chip Cookie" by adding 1/4 cup of cocoa.
*My FAVORITE chocolate chips to use are the 60% Cacao Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips.
photo: ghirardelli.com

*For holidays (most recently Valentine's Day), I like to substitute festive M&M's in place of the chocolate chips.

*Most recently, I make a "healthy" version. By healthy, I don't mean less calories, so be warned. I use vegan butter sticks, soy-nut-dairy-free chocolate chips (I promise, they're delicious!), and almond milk [in place of eggs].
Try the recipe, and share your variations! Enjoy! But remember, come Monday, its back to fruits and veggies, and other real nutrients! :)

Keeping it sweet,

Danielle Cason

No comments:

Post a Comment